I picked up my EVO 3D last Friday and have been enjoying my new device. I must say, I was not very excited about the 3D features of the phone but I have been having some fun. We went to the cabin over the weekend and I was using 3D to capture all kinds of fun pictures. Some of the pictures had some great depth to them.
As expected, the phone is faster than the EVO 4G, the screen resolution is a nice improvement and the new Sense 3.0 interface is greatly improved.
I look forward to gaining root access. HTC has said that they will unlock the bootloader on the 3D.
- Speed – everything is faster
- New HTC Sense 3.0.
- ScreenÂ resolution â€“ The screen looks crisp.
- 3D is fun! Watching and recording movies in 3D, games, pictures, etc.
- Dedicated camera button – makes taking pictures so much more stable.
- 1GB of memory â€“ I was constantly having to manage my memory on my EVO 4G, I do not have to do this anymore.
- Ability to uninstall Sprint apps – dump the bloatware!
- Weather animations are beautiful.
- The power button is larger.
- 3D is great but if you do not have other 3D devices there is not much you can do beyond the EVO 3D.
- Not OMLED â€“ I still have Samsung screen envy.
- Gmail does not yet support .mpo files – When I send 3D pictures to other EVO 3D friends there is no way to download the picture. It can only be “previewed” as a 2D picture. This can be resolved by configuring the HTC mail application for your account but that is not very user friendly.
- The external speaker could be a little better.
- I would prefer the micro USB connection at the bottom of the phone.
- No kickstand (without a case) – I am surprised how many times that I have went for the kickstand and was reminded that I no longer have one.
- Battery life is still much to be desired for myself as a power user. I look forward to Seidio releasing a 3,000+ mAH battery so that I can get through a day.
- Gaps between the four rows of icons/widgets. With the higher resolution a fifth row can be beneficial. I am using Launcher Pro Plus which allows me to have five rows of icons.
- Exchange support â€“ unlike the previous HTC Sense devices, HTC has come clean about ActiveSync memory encryption for Sense 3.0. I cannot configure my EVO 3D to work with with my Exchange server that has this requirement. From what I understand, this is supported in Honeycomb 3.1 and I assume will work with Ice Cream Sandwich.
- HTC has made the 2D/3D picture taking and sharing pretty effortless. When sending 3D pictures the phone will prompt to convert to 2D or ask to share either 2D or 3D depending on which application the picture is being shared to.
In conclusion, no phone is perfect. The 3D is a nice upgrade from the EVO 4G. I only hope that HTC starts rolling out phones with
OMLED AMOLEDÂ screens by the time that I amÂ eligibleÂ for my next upgrade 🙂